Getting a massage therapy session is a wonderful experience. But, have you ever wanted to go for a massage therapy session and didn't know what type of massage to get? Massage therapy uses numerous techniques that range from full-body stress relief to highly targeted methods that relieve a wide range of muscular pains and dysfunction. Five types of massage that rank among the most popular types of massage are Chair massage, Medical Massage, Pregnancy Massage, Trigger Point Therapy, and Aromatherapy Massage.
1. Chair Massage - also known as Seated massage, is performed while the client remains fully clothed and seated in a specially designed massage chair. The massage chair allows the Massage Therapist to massage the client's head, neck, back, and arms in a typical 10-15 minute session using a variety of kneading, percussion, friction and movement techniques. The high portability of the massage chair and the fact that clients are fully clothed means that massage sessions can be completed nearly anywhere. Chair massage makes a great gift for employees or special clients. Receiving chair massage in the office has been shown to reduce stress and increase employee productivity. Chair massage is also a popular attraction at charity events, trade shows and conventions.
2. Medical Massage - during Medical Massage the Massage Therapist treats specific muscular and connective tissue problems with techniques directed at achieving favorable client outcomes under the supervision and written orders of the client's physician. More simply stated, the Medical Massage Therapist is a massage therapist with advanced training in the assessment of soft tissue dysfunction and treatment that works with your doctor to relieve your pain, improve function and Range of Motion of joints, and improve posture as needed. Medical massage is usually a short session that's targeted to one or a few areas.
3. Pregnancy Massage - has gained tremendous popularity by helping the mother-to-be remain comfortable during her pregnancy and in many cases have an easier delivery. Pregnancy massage relieves muscle spasms and cramps associated with the stress of extra weight bearing and physical changes that occur during pregnancy.
4. Trigger Point Therapy - directly targets trigger points and the muscles in which they're found. In Trigger Point Therapy the Massage Therapist carefully seeks out the trigger points in a muscle with their fingers, knuckles, or elbows and uses specific compression techniques, friction strokes, and stretches which make the trigger points release and seemingly melt away. The release of the trigger point usually results in a rapid decrease or complete elimination of muscular pain. Trigger Point Therapy is a versatile technique and is often used to treat back pain, Jaw (TMJ) pain, headaches and migraines, whiplash, tennis elbow, frozen shoulder, hip pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, and more.
5. Aromatherapy Massage - is a very relaxing and therapeutic massage incorporating the healthy benefits of massage and the powerful effects of essential oils for an incredible effect you're going to love. Depending on your needs the Massage Therapist will adjust the massage and the varieties of essential oils for the desired effect.
All of the massage techniques described here can help you receive the health benefits of massage. Of course there are many more massage therapy techniques available that are relaxing, stress reducing, and that relieve chronic tension and pain. You actually don't have to know what type of massage to ask for, you just need to know what you want to achieve. Do you just want to relax? Reduce muscle soreness? Relieve pain? Improve posture? Ask your massage therapist what they recommend for your particular health needs and get massaged today.
Ben Crabtree is a Licensed Massage Therapist, Reiki Master, Certified Myoskeletal Therapist, and Certified Neuromuscular Therapist in San Antonio, Texas. To receive massage therapy and bodywork in San Antonio please contact Mr. Crabtree through his website at MassageByBen.com or his Massage Blog.